Re: gEDA-user: Purpose of this list

Stuart Brorson wrote:

> I am always pleased by the high level of electronics knowledge
> displayed by the folks on this list.  The contributions are very
> interesting and educational.

Agreed.  I'm both pleased and very, very grateful.

> I vote to keep it.  Besides the educational value, the great postings
> about electronics on geda-user are archived and searchable via
> Google.  That means that folks who are searching on keywords related
> to electronics will come across the gEDA project.  The high level of
> the disucssions on geda-user serve as great advertising for the
> entire gEDA Project.

Agreed!  All exposure is good exposure, and I'd be suspicious of a list
that discussed EDA topics where there wasn't any discussion of
electronics at a more general level at least occasionally!

> FWIW, sci.electronics.* has become a cesspool of spammers and trolls.
> Other electronics discussion sites tend towards basic electronics.
> For example, sparkfun is a good site, but the discussions are largely
> oriented to newbies.  Nothing wrong with that, but I'm glad geda-user
> serves the needs of newbies as well as experienced engineers.  I'd
> like to keep it that way.

Agreed (sorry for being redundant).

Once you start laying down traces from your schematic, the line between
"electronics" and "pcb tool" become kind of blurry because the two
definitely interact.  So there's no escaping the necessity for *some*
electronics-related discussion here.  And so long as things aren't
getting totally off-topic for geda, I say those discussions are welcome
here.  Lately, I haven't seen anything inappropriate.

I'm not aware of any non-cesspool sites where people experienced in
electronics design *and* layout congregate.  I learned a lot about
electronics early on from sci.* newsgroups, but as NNTP has fallen out
of favor, those neighborhoods have really gone downhill.  Sad to see.

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
bgat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx