Re: gEDA-user: gEDA and pcb status and minigration from Eagle

Stefan Salewski wrote:
> KiCAD: I was asked about it some days ago, here it is
>
>> I know KiCAD, but I have never used it myself yet.
>> When I started with free EDA tools 4 years ago gEDA was looking more
>> "professional", so I chose gEDA/PCB. But KiCad and gEDA have make
>> progress since that time. So I think KiCad can be used for production
>> work now.
>>
>> The main difference is, that KiCAD is available for Windows too, and
>> that KiCad is more integrated. Some people like this integration very

Just as a note, the last several pcb releases have included windows
binary installers.  As far as I know, the limitations of pcb under
windows is some of the m4lib -> newlib converted footprints had a naming
conflict so a few footprints are missing and also since windows doesn't
support printing postscript with lpr, we don't have a direct printing
path (have to print to postscript and convert to pdf or something) under
windows.  The sourceforge logs actually show *more* (by a lot) downloads
of the windows installer than the source code.  There could be a number
of different factors as to why that is and could lead to a number of
different conclusions.  I think about the only safe conclusion is that a
moderately large number of windows users were interested enough to
download it.

-Dan