Re: gEDA-user: symbol files

Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 16:36:54 +0000, Kelvin Gardiner wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to create some new AVR symbols. Can the footprint section of
>> a symbol file have more than one footprint listed.
>
> Unfortunately not.
> This is one of my favorite feature requests: Let the user choose from a
> list of footprints supplied by the symbol. This is how protel98 does it.
> We used this a lot in my former day job.

how does protel98 deal with the "different pin outs for different
packages" issue?  Is one symbol used for multiple similar parts (i.e. 1
npn symbol for all npn transistors)?

Perhaps something useful would be if someone could collect and summarize
every way that they have seen this problem approached with the pros and
cons.  This may point the way to a real solution that we will all like
or at least like enough to find it acceptable.

If such a comparison summary were created it would be good to include
comments on how each approach does or doesn't work with multiple
backends (simulation, pcb, other netlist).

-Dan