Re: gEDA-user: Ubuntu package for 1.6 and footprints

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 22:00 +0000, Kelvin Gardiner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks to everyone for their replies, they have been very useful.
>
> How do packages of new versions get pushed to the Ubuntu repos?

Usually, they don't get pushed directly. There is an automated
synchronisation where packages from Debian are taken, then re-built in
Ubuntu.

The question then becomes.. how do packages of new versions get pushed
to the Debian repos?

Answer:

Each debian package has a maintainer (or team of maintainers). They keep
an eye out for new versions of the package (often assisted by a "watch"
file so an automated system can look out for new releases).

The maintainers package the new versions up, then push into the Debian
repositories / build system with "dput" or similar (IIRC).

Some-times Ubuntu short-circuits Debian, as was the case with the 9.10
(Karmic) release. There was a FTBFS (fails to build from source) bug
with gattrib 1.4.x, and recent versions of GTK.

I proposed a patch (and put together a new Ubuntu specific package),
then attached it to the FTBFS bug on Launchpad. A MOTU (member of the
universe), or Ubuntu developer, who has privileges to sponsor the upload
and / or push to the appropriate repositories reviewed the package (and
fixed a build dependency I'd left off), then the pushed to the build
system. The automated build system builds the package for all
architectures, finally the package ends up in the archive.

Best wishes,

Peter C.