Re: gEDA-user: Feature Request Status-Terminal instead of dialogue and info boxes

On 11/17/09, Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>    As wrote in an earlier post,  I use a tiling window manager.
[snip]
>    Normally 3-5 lines of text are enough to show an experienced user what
>    is going on with the program.

I think you may want to use this Frank Bergmann patch (I like it very much)
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2779826&group_id=73743&atid=538813
from PCB Sourceforge patch tracker, ID 2779826, posted 2009-04-23 19:58.

>    Other open source projects who utilise such a termial window use
>    embedded python, lua or some other scripting language which gives very
>    powerful scripting features.

I'd like to have a wider scripting capabilities in PCB, but only if it
doesn't decrease
it's portability; I certainly don't want the program to have new hard
dependencies.

BTW, could you find the post about scripting plugin in the list
archives and review it
(IIRC it appeared this spring or summer)?

>    Furthermore, this creates a central place for all kind of messages
>    makes it easy for a community driven project to help by state :"If you
>    are going to post about a problem, please add the terminal history to
>    your post".

I believe this typically won't help very much; there is --verbose
option, but it is not used very often.

Kind regards,
Ineiev