Re: gEDA-user: How to deal with single/dual parts?

On Nov 19, 2009, at 9:38 AM, Bill Gatliff wrote:

> Peter Clifton wrote:
>> Lets say I have a symbol:
>>     ____
>> ---|    \____
>> ---|____/
>>

>> That might have 4 slots - IE.. I expect 4 of those nand gates in the
>> chip.
>>

> ... and I think that might be where the problem suddenly creeps in.
>
> The _component_ defines how many and what kinds of circuits it
> contains.  It also defines what packages the component is available
> in,
> and how to map the pins of its composing circuits to the pins on the
> package.
>
> The _symbol_, on the other hand, just expresses the designer's
> _requirement_ for a circuit.  The symbol itself doesn't care which
> _component_ satisfies that requirement, it's the developer's job to at
> some point identify which circuit of which component will satisfy that
> requirement.
>
> To give a concrete example, let's say my schematic diagram contains
> three nand symbols, which specifies a requirement for three nand
> circuits.  Some other document would record that I will provide two
> 74ls00 components, which supplies the design with a bucket of eight
> nand
> circuits plus two power circuits.  A tool that tries to correlate the
> two documents can detect that my requirements are being over-supplied,
> which means that my schematic diagram is missing symbols that
> correspond
> to the actual number of circuits I'm providing.  Better fix that,
> because some of those circuits are the power supplies for the
> components
> and the other circuits won't work without them!  I add the appropriate
> symbols to my schematic diagram until everything balances.

Actually, what I'd like to do is provide the tool with a power
circuit template, and rules on how to use it. Let the tool figure it
out.

> So then I change my mind, and provide just one 74ls00 component.  The
> same tool can detect that now there's an imbalance in the other
> direction, meaning that I need to get rid of one of the power symbols
> and a few of the unused nand symbols that I added previously.  But
> otherwise, the schematic diagram is the same as it was before--- as I
> think it should be.
>
> Now I'm beginning to see the problems with slotting and symbols the
> way
> we're doing them now: they unnecessarily tie the concept of a
> symbol to
> the concept of a component, because the pin numbers that we currently
> record in our symbols are also the pin numbers that the component maps
> to the pins of the component's package.  We have munged together the
> concepts of symbol and component in our "symbol" files, but can't seem
> to admit to that.
>
> That's the breakage, methinks.

For a certain kind of flow, yes. But on a hobbyist scale, the way it
works now isn't so bad, and another layer of processing would be a
burden. *Any* discussion of how such a thing "should" be done is
dependent on flow and scale. So the kit should provide the tools to
do it either way (and other ways, too).

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx