Re: gEDA-user: [PCB] Selection of objects

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 13:54:42 +0900, Torsten Wagner wrote:

> The most cumbersome for me was the selection of objects which are for
> some reason hidden behind other objects or out of the grid.

There is some heuristic magic going on in the machine room of pcb. The
heuristic seems to pay attention to which layer is currently current. So
I check top layer if I want to manipulate tracks on top layer. Same goes
for silk or outline layer.

Two useful options to prevent actions on the "wrong" objects:
	Settings -> Lock_Names
and
	Settings -> Only_Names
The first lets pcb completely ignore all text. The second ignores
everything but text.

> I know I can switch off the grid

I didn't know that it could be switched off until you had me checking ;-)
To realign objects with the grid:
1) choose
	Settings -> Cross_Hair_Snaps_To_Pins_And_Pads

2) Drag a footprint at a pin or at its handle.
   The point you drag on will automatically snap to the current grid.
   Same goes for other types of objects.

Unfortunately, there is no way to bulk-move a bunch of objects to the
grid. This would be a great application for scripting (hint-hint ;-)

> From other CAD tools I know several methods to mark stacked objects.
>
> 1. (...)
> 2. (...)

Both methods would receive a warm welcome by me if they were added to the
feature set of pcb.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
Universität Hannover, Inst. für Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211