Re: gEDA-user: Switch gschem to another scripting language?

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:26:25 -0500, Dave McGuire <mcguire@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On Nov 23, 2009, at 4:45 AM, Peter TB Brett wrote:
>> Regular readers will recall that back in 2008 I had a stab at swapping
>> Guile for TinyScheme.  I came to the conclusion that if we used
>> TinyScheme
>> we'd be dooming ourselves to reimplementing half of Guile, badly.
>
>    That sucks. :-(
>
>    You were actually the one who turned me on to TinyScheme; I've
> used it in two projects so far.  One of them wouldn't have been
> possible with Guile because of its lack of encapsulation of runtime
> data structures.

Guile smobs provide encapsulation of runtime data structures, surely?  Or
do I fail to grasp what you mean by this?

> You can embed multiple independent TinyScheme
> interpreters in the same executable.

It turns out that you can do something similar in Guile using its module
system -- although you only have one interpreter, you can have multiple
independent environments. This actually works out to be more
memory-efficient than running multiple interpreters.  See this thread:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.user/7375

Additionally, we can avoid the need for apps that use libgeda to run in
Guile mode (as currently required) by using scm_with_guile() to enter Guile
mode only when necessary:
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Initialization.html

These are all ideas that have been floating around in my head for about a
year now...

Peter

--
Peter Brett <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>