Re: gEDA-user: How to deal with single/dual parts?

On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 21:06 +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 21:03:31 +0000, Peter Clifton wrote:
>
> >> Why not change the workflow so that during schematic capture, there are
> >> no pin numbers anywhere?  "Pins" on symbols get assigned a physical pin
> >> number during some some later step, at the same time that footprints
> >> are selected.  And then a backwards data flow brings the pin
> >> assignments back to gschem for display?  Of course, I really have
> >> little idea of the implications of what I'm saying...
> >
> > I agree whole-heartedly, to the extent - that pinnumber information
> > should not be present until you've selected a part to use. (or slot of a
> > part).
>
> I assume, your rewrite will still allow to print pinnumbers in the
> finished schematic. This is really useful when debugging circuits with
> slotted.

Certainly, that was the intention. (Not that this work is likely to
happen for the next year or so!!)

The issue which is somewhat tricky is how to place the numbers -
assuming they didn't exist in the symbol to start with. We'd have to get
our auto-placement heuristics out, either that, or leave place-holders
in the symbols.