Re: gEDA-user: howto print with "pcb -x eps" ?

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:08:17 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

> That's the way (although I use ps not eps for batch printing), but don't
> put spaces in the layer stack string.  Also, watch the pcb output for
> warnings about mis-named layers.

Ok, I toyed a little with this. Spaces are successfully ignored.
Seems, I was confused by a name clash in my layer-stack: My first layer
is called "top". This string seems to be recognized as the name of the
first layer group, which contains the first three layers.

Layer definition of my current project is:
	Groups("1,2,3,c:4,5,6,s:7:8")
Layer(1 "top")
Layer(2 "top.-poly.")
Layer(3 "top.-GND")
Layer(4 "bottom")
Layer(5 "bot-polyg.")
Layer(6 "bot.-GND")
Layer(7 "comment")
Layer(8 "outline")
Layer(9 "silk")
Layer(10 "silk")

I discovered, that the layer stack accepts numbers too. I assigned only a
single integer to the --layer-stack option. This is what I got for the
number 1 through 9:

0: holes, top-pads, pins/vias, top-GND, top-poly, top
1: holes, top-pads, pins/vias, top-GND, top-poly, top
2: holes, bottom-pads, pins/vias, bot-GND, bot-poly, bottom
3: holes, bottom-pads, pins/vias, bot-GND, bot-poly, bottom
4: holes, bottom-pads, pins/vias, bot-GND, bot-poly, bottom
5: holes, bottom-pads, pins/vias, bot-GND, bot-poly, bottom
6: holes, pins/vias, comments
7: holes, outline
8: holes
9: holes, top-pads, pins/vias, top-GND, top-poly, top

What is the logic in this? A stab in the dark: Everything shifted one
notch up plus confusion due to the top/bottom name crash?

Where can I find documentation on the syntax and possible contents of the
layer-stack option? The manual does not mention the layer stack at all.
pcb --help just says: "Initial layer stackup, for setting up an export."
<greps-through-the-source>
There is some more detail in the ChangeLog. For the record:
/-----------
       Added "--layer-stack" option that takes a string and sets the layer
	stack to it (for eps/png export, mostly).  Layers are numbers
	0..N-1, the names of the layers from the loaded PCB file, or the
	special names "rats", "invisible", "pins", "vias", or "elements".
	Layers may be separated by spaces, commas, semicolons, or colons.

I'll add this to the wiki.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
Universität Hannover, Inst. für Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211