gEDA-user: Change footprints on finished PCB

Hi,

I just had to change some footprints for a nearly finished pcb (some
parts was tricky to order from resellers in small quantities).
I used gattrib which allowed me to change the footprints very easily.
After running gsch2pcb, I noticed that all old footprints was removed
from the pcb and I had to load the new footprints into the pcb.
However, the came as a single big bloob and it took me a lot of time
to rearrange them to the nearly old positions.

I am just wondering whether there is a method to replace old
footprints without loosing the previous position. E.g., if you change
a SMD part from 0402 to 0603 it is often the case, that there is
enough space on the PCB and the bigger pads only need slightly
modifications of the routing. Thus, it would be nice if the footprints
just get replaced but position and orientation should be kept.

Thanks for helping

Torsten