Re: gEDA-user: Number of Layers

Unfortunately that beast had:
1) Thru-board vias at the minimum diameter hole size the fab shop would
tolerate
2) Blinds, buried... lot's of 'em
3) Multiple independent power planes - boatloads of coupling and bypass
caps
4) matched length lines - most being differential pairs
5) Controlled impedance lines
6) BMF Surface mount devices on both sides
7) AND the board was 24 inch by 18 inch

a freaking beast - I was one of the Electrical Designers - I would not
even compare notes with the PWB designers - they were true masters of
their art. And the commercial package that was used, (Brand A) well - it
was pushed mighty hard. The board did, however, work - with a data
bandwidth of 144 GBits - no lie.

I'm now a lowly laid-off electronics designer trying to peddle a buncha
services - and I gotta tell ya both schem and pwb are a major help!
(Now, if I can just get a paying customer...)

T.