Re: gEDA-user: Reducing the amount of jumpers

Link <link@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Since I'm hand-fabbing this and will probably be drawing the lines
> with a permanent marker, all traces should be at least 35 mil wide and
> have a clearance of 25 mil or greater.  I've used that method before;
> it's a bit ugly, but it works - for very simple boards, anyway. The
> way I do it is I print out the layout using my good ol' Inkjet,
> tightly tape the sheet of paper to the board, and drill the holes
> first. Once all the holes are in place, I meticulously draw all lines
> as they appear on the paper, using a set square to measure the lengths
> and angles. Stone-age technology, I know.

Ouch.  When I was your age, and at that level of technology, I war doing
one-sided layout, routing only the power and very few short traces. Then
I copied that layout to a bare copper layer by transfering prefabricated
lines from a transparent sheet to the copper.  Most connections were
later added with wires, the kind of wire used in transformers, I do not
know how it is called in English.  The insulation melts while soldering
it.  That was 25 years ago.