Re: gEDA-user: PCB+GL Testers (please test)

On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 15:19 -0300, John Coppens wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 17:29:04 +0000
> Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Here is the gotcha.. the VBO code didn't really work on the NVidia
> > machine.. rendering got really slow. If you discover this, you can force
> > it back to using "Arrays" rather than VBOs with this patch:
>
> Peter,
>
> Maybe, just by chance, you have the same problem I had (855 chipset).
> There is a bug going around in the Intel drivers, which was finally
> solved in the latest kernel, 2.6.35, but even there, a last minute
> error crept in, and req'd a patch. If this is the case, I can fetch the
> solution.

The performance problem was on an NVidia card (I forget which). I've
been over every way I can imagine of using VBOs, and I still get about
one frame per second.

Using Vertex arrays on that same card manages 20fps.

I'm usually developing on a laptop with Intel G45 graphics chipset.
(Same 3D drivers as 965+ upwards, but with card specific defines etc..)

Anything 945 and prior uses a completely different 3D driver, (covering
915-945) and I also see an i810 driver in the tree too.

At this stage, I don't expect my code to work on i8xx, and I'd even be
doubtful of it working on 945, as it (at the moment) requires uses pixel
shaders. I'd be interested to see the output of "glxinfo" for your
machine though.

> John

Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,