Re: gEDA-user: Comments on pcb's g-code exporter & HeeksCAD/HeeksCNC FOSS program for pcb milling

Markus,

That is good news.

Could someone tell be how to add these files to the current pcb-20100929 source download and recompile? Otherwise, I will have to wait on the next source snapshot, which is fine. I would love to see the latest patches, though.

I do not know how your '0023-board outline milling' patch works, but I would like to share a thought:

On page 1 of the LPKF brochure (http://www.lpkfusa.com/datasheets/prototyping/rp_brochure.pdf ), it shows a screenshot of their pcb artwork software. The thick grey traces are used to route the border of the part. I noticed the breaks in the trace in order to create attachment tabs, which you can see in the picture to the right of the mill making some boards.

You could have a field in the g-code export window where you can choose a layer from pcb, which contains the traces for the border routing operation. The user can customize with a simple series of thick (or thin) traces exactly what shape they want the pcb border to be, i.e. with or without tabs, what diameter endmill to use, etc.

Thanks,
Dave