Re: gEDA-user: [PCB-Patches] Action-documentation

DJ Delorie wrote:

>> PS: (*) Would a general switch of "element" to "footprint" receive a
>> warm welcome by the developers? This would provide more consistency
>> between geda and pcb wording.
>
> element
       (...)

> footprint
       (...)

I'll take this as a "no".

> I think this is consistent with gschem; a symbol in your schematic
> specifies the footprint it needs when it becomes an element on your
> board.

It may be consistent. However, it is confusing to newbies, at least
the ones I have been in touch with. IMHO, there is no need to use
different words for types of land patterns and their instantiations.
General language works pretty well without such a distinction.
A chair is a general class of objects. If I beg you to bring me three
chairs, you won't look for three different types of chairs.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Ãffentlicher PGP-SchlÃssel: