Re: gEDA-user: STEP Format? [WAS: Re: PCB+GL+3D Packages??]

On Sat, 2010-11-20 at 11:01 +1100, Russell Shaw wrote:

> Are you using a spatial data structure to omit emitting polygons
> for off-screen components?

PCB does that (spatial data-structures) already for rendering layers, so
yes. With the 3D perspective view, I fall back to rendering the whole
board at certain view angles which make it more awkward to calculate the
on-screen coverage of the board. This happens when the corners of the
viewport don't lie on the projection of the board plane, e.g. for near
edge-on views. (Which usually show most of the board anyway).

For the individual component models, no.. let GL deal with it. It is
unlikely you'll zoom into one so close that culling panels on the CPU
will be a big win.

It _is_ very helpful for board geometry though.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,