Re: gEDA-user: STEP Format? [WAS: Re: PCB+GL+3D Packages??]

On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 01:29 +0100, kai-martin knaak wrote:
> Peter Clifton wrote:
>
> > stl (very nice)
>
> IMHO, stl is a mesh only format. That is, everything is made of
> triangles -- no squares, no circles, no real curvatures. There are
> no macros, no loops, or repetitions.

That suits me just fine.. OpenGL _likes_ rendering triangles, and any
other geometry primitives are extra work to implement ;)

>  A decent pcb would make for
> a pretty large stl file if all the vias and pin holes were to be
> modeled realistically. Named objects are unknown to stl. This
> renders stl a one way format for most construction purposes.

I've been looking for a format to _import_ 3D models of components for a
quick "rough" viewing within PCB. I concur that we probably don't want
many of the suggested formats for CAD interchange.

I concur with your other points, but think I'll play with VRML models
for now. I'm _hoping_ that there will be a route to do:

Serious component model in CAD -> VRML for use within PCB.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,