Re: gEDA-user: If you also think the PCB lower-case letter 's' is ugly, here's a replacement

On Sun, 2010-11-21 at 02:03 -0800, Cory Cross wrote:
> Symbol('s' 10)
> (
>          SymbolLine(0 50 20 50 8)
>          SymbolLine(20 50 25 45 8)
>          SymbolLine(20 40 25 45 8)
>          SymbolLine(5 40 20 40 8)
>          SymbolLine(0 35 5 40 8)
>          SymbolLine(0 35 5 30 8)
>          SymbolLine(5 30 25 30 8)
> )

Tried it, and prefer the original. The weight of the ends of the glyph
stroke seem wrong, and need shortening. I tried this and realised the
whole glyph is just too wide, and is out of proportion. I came up with
this:

Symbol('s' 8)
(
	SymbolLine(2 50 18 50 8)
	SymbolLine(18 50 23 45 8)
	SymbolLine(18 40 23 45 8)
	SymbolLine(5 40 18 40 8)
	SymbolLine(0 35 5 40 8)
	SymbolLine(0 35 5 30 8)
	SymbolLine(5 30 21 30 8)
)

It still isn't perfect by any means, and I would be tempted to
re-introduce the inflections on the end of the stroke which your glyph
removed. (Keeping them small though).

To make gsch2pcb pick it up, you would need to adjust the template file
in $PREFIX/share/gEDA/scheme/gnet-gsch2pcb.scm

(OR change PCB's default font file).

The gsch2pcb template is currently based on a VERY old PCB file format,
and would need updating. Once you've done that, you can include the font
block from a more modern PCB file, but you will have to define every
glyph.

The future is not using gsch2pcb to make a PCB file directly of course,
DJ has been working on a better import mechanism, which we should teach
gsch2pcb to make use of. (Which would then make PCB create the file).

In this idealised version of the future, the only immediate way you
would have to override the font is to edit PCB's default font,

$PREFIX/share/pcb/default_font

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,