Re: gEDA-user: If you also think the PCB lower-case letter 's' is ugly, here's a replacement

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 17:45:31 +0000
Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The future is not using gsch2pcb to make a PCB file directly of
> course, DJ has been working on a better import mechanism, which we
> should teach gsch2pcb to make use of. (Which would then make PCB
> create the file).
>
> In this idealised version of the future, the only immediate way you
> would have to override the font is to edit PCB's default font,
>
> $PREFIX/share/pcb/default_font

How hard would it be to make use of the freetype library to handle all
vector-based fonts?  I imagine the font outlines could be converted to
line elements fairly easily... ?

As a first step, could the existing pcb font file be pre-generated
using freetype and an OpenType or TrueType font?

Then, as a second (and larger) step, pcb could use freetype directly
and have access to multiple fonts and totally simplify the user's life,
not requiring pregenerated pcb-format fonts.

Regards,
Colin