Re: gEDA-user: If you also think the PCB lower-case letter 's' is ugly, here's a replacement

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Colin D Bennett <colin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 17:45:31 +0000
> Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> The future is not using gsch2pcb to make a PCB file directly of
>> course, DJ has been working on a better import mechanism, which we
>> should teach gsch2pcb to make use of. (Which would then make PCB
>> create the file).
>>
>> In this idealised version of the future, the only immediate way you
>> would have to override the font is to edit PCB's default font,
>>
>> $PREFIX/share/pcb/default_font
>
> How hard would it be to make use of the freetype library to handle all
> vector-based fonts?  I imagine the font outlines could be converted to
> line elements fairly easily... ?

pcb's fonts are special:  they are a single line wide.  When you need
the smallest letters that a given silk process can print legibly, you
want those single-line fonts.

For larger fonts, freetype would be great, and save us the
machinations of creating the text in inkscape or something and
importing it with pstoedit.

Regards,
Mark
markrages@gmail