Re: gEDA-user: mirrored footprint

On Nov 25, 2010, at 11:01 AM, Jan Martinek <honza@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I am missing the reason you must mirror the footprints, however.
>> Aren't the pins still in the same orientation they would be with the
>> standard footprint?  Since your DIP packages are mounted in the
>> "normal-side-up" orientation, it seems the pins should be in the right
>> order, unless you have placed the IC on the "component" side of the
>> board in pcb... ?
>>

> Yes, the component is at the same position, but traces are on the opposite side of board so something must be mirrored. SMD traces are at component layer. Through hole components have traces on solder layer. Or both of them? Well, you confused me now :-) Maybe I did not have to mirror the footprints.

You did not have to mirror the footprints. Think of it as side A and side B.  You could have placed the parts on the solder side.  The tab key switches the side you are working on.

But the "dead bug" parts do need mirroring of the footprints.  As the parts are mounted top side towered the board.  I do agree that they should be a externally mirrored footprint though.

Steve