Re: gEDA-user: mirrored footprint

At 05:01 AM 11/25/2010, you wrote:
I am missing the reason you must mirror the footprints, however.
Aren't the pins still in the same orientation they would be with the
standard footprint?  Since your DIP packages are mounted in the
"normal-side-up" orientation, it seems the pins should be in the right
order, unless you have placed the IC on the "component" side of the
board in pcb... ?

Yes, the component is at the same position, but traces are on the opposite side of board so something must be mirrored. SMD traces are at component layer. Through hole components have traces on solder layer. Or both of them? Well, you confused me now :-) Maybe I did not have to mirror the footprints.

regards,
Jan

Yes, of course you have to mirror the ICs that you are changing from through hole mount to surface mount. As you say they are on the opposite side of the board from the pads, so now the pads need to be mirrored, unless the software is capable of moving the pads from one layer to the other without changing how they look on the screen. But normally it treats this as moving the part from one side to the other and you have to mirror the footprint to keep pin one oriented correctly.

Heck, if it wasn't needed to mirror the footprint, it wouldn't work correctly after you do mirror it.

Rick