Re: gEDA-user: Newby Question on Symbols

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, John Davies wrote:

> With gschem, I have got to the point where I would like to use hierarchical
> designs.  So I assume that I will need to use symbols.  Is there any
> guidance on this?  I have read gschem.txt.  But I must be doing something
> wrong.

There are a couple of attributes that must be attached to the symbol so it
knows where to find the schematic, ie the filename of the schematic.

> I have a filename.sym and a filename.sch in local.  The pins on the .sym
> have the same names as the pins on the .sch.  But I cannot descend from the
> sym to the sch.

A good start. You must have the attribute source=filename.sch attached.

> All suggestions, of a proper nature, gratefully received.

A couple of months ago I made a hierachial schematic. You can use it as an
example. Stephen Williams has gracefully put it on his ftp site:
ftp://www.icarus.com/pub/eda/gtag/

Good luck,
/spe
! Stefan Petersen, MSc EE         !  \