Re: gEDA-user: PCB footprints?

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 06:20:47PM -0400, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> Hi Guys (and any Gals who are lurking out there) --
>
> This may be in the FAQ (although I didn't find it in the ten seconds
> that I took to Google around), so please tell me to RTFM if it is.
>
> I would like to know all the names of the various footprints defined
> for PCB so I can choose which of them to stick into my gschem
> schematic.  I know that I can look around at the various footprint
> definition files located deep in the PCB source tree.  However, I was
> wondering if somebody had created a cleartext doc listing all the
> various footprint names, preferably as a list or a table?
>
> If this doesn't exist, I don't mind creating one.  Just say the word.

There isn't a list.  However, you can look at lib/pcblib.contents and
for files in lib/newlib.

The libs that I have been working the most on are:

geda - "standard" footprints like SO, QFP, QFN, TQFN, DIP, 0603, etc.

and

amp
amphenol
bourns
cts
johnstech
minicircuits
panasonic

which are vendor specific footprints.  Please note these libs are "footprint
only" libs meaning that the pin names are set to match the pin number as
opposed to things like "VCC" "VEE" "INP" "INM" and "OUT".

The ~geda lib footprints have names like 'SO16' and '1206' while the vendor
specific libs I mentioned above have names like 'MINICIRCUITS_KK81' and 'BOURNS_3224'.

I can't speak to the other footprints positively or negatively.  I simply haven't
looked much at them.

-BUYER BEWARE-
As with any footprint library, commercial or free, you should do sanity checks
at least on them.  I'm trying hard to make sure at least the ones mentioned above
are good, but people make mistakes.

-Dan