RE: gEDA-user: building under Cygwin

PCB builds just fine under cygwin with XFree86 installed. I have NOT, however, found a way to build gEDA under Cygwin. I would also be interested to hear from anyone if it's possible to build it under cygwin and get out from under the stale mingw build.

From: "Alex Gerdemann" <null_soup@hotmail.com>
To: geda-user@geda.seul.org
Subject: gEDA-user: building under Cygwin
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:45:39 +0000

Hello,

I apologize if this has been asked before; I scanned the archives without success.

Just found out about the gEDA project on the web, and was very excited. I have been looking for quality electronics design tools that don't cost thousands of dollars for some time, and gEDA looks like it's exactly what I want.

However, I am a Cygwin user, and would prefer to not have to also use MinGW. I just attempted to build gEDA under Cygwin and had the build process dump me saying, "Building gEDA/gaf under cygwin is not supported." Since MinGW is actually a fork of Cygwin, it ought to be quite similar. Also, the required libraries (guile, gtk, etc.) are available as prebuilt packages under Cygwin. So build process in principal could be simpler than in MinGW. What would it take to make the build work under Cygwin? I did notice that the Cygwin was the Win32 platform of choice in some of the older versions.

Thanks,

Alex

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar – get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/