Re: gEDA-user: building under Cygwin

From: Ales Hvezda <ahvezda@moria.seul.org>

I would start there and see what happens.  If you have any questions or
get stuck somewhere, let me know and I'll try to help.  If you do get it
working, I would appreciate a set of patches (which just add cygwin
support and leave the mingw support alone).  Thanks.

								-Ales
Alright, so I've made a go at it, and here are my results so far. Just removing the cygwin block (and setting MINGW=yes) in configure scripts seemed to get me most of the way. I also had to install the regex source package for Cygwin. The regular packagae won't do as for some reason it includes cygregex.dll, but not libregex.a. So users will have to build that package themselves, and copy the library into /bin. I am currently stuck on raw2gw.c in geda-20040111/graphman. It makes a call to get_current_dir_name(), which seems to be a somewhat non-standard version of getcwd() in unistd.h. Looking on the web, it appears this function is available in LINUX, and is usuable if __USE_GNU or maybe _GNU_SOURCE is defined. Neither seems to make this function available in Cygwin.

I'm never worked on a big programming project requiring cross-platform compatability and all, so I'm not sure of the correct way to fix this. If there some kind of check buried in the configure script, I couldn't find it. Any suggestions?

Other than that, the build seems to have worked, or at least completed without dumping me. gschem, geda, gnetlist, and gsymcheck all start up OK.

Thanks,
Alex Gerdemann

Check out Election 2004 for up-to-date election news, plus voter tools and more! http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx