Re: gEDA-user: PCB is extremely slow

I swear by through hole connectors for reliability. give me a conector that i have to break the board before the pads delaminate.

Steve Meier

Dan McMahill wrote:

Charlls Quarra wrote:

 --- Karel Kulhavy <clock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

I am editing Ronja Twister
http://ronja.twibright.com/schematics/twister.pcb
And it sometimes takes 30 seconds to redraw (during
which PCB doesn't
react). My machine has 1500MHz CPU and 0.5GB of RAM
and nothing
CPU intensive is running there besides.

Do you have also this problem? Is it possible to
optimize PCB somehow
to not grind down this way?

Sure there is such an optimization. It's called "dropping the GTK port, and continuing the good ol' Xaw port"

on my 400 MHz ultra sparc ii (Ultra/10), its more on the order of a second. I'm suprised it is that slow for you, but this is not the first report of it being much slower on a machine where it should be fast.

Can you run top or something and check memory usage when PCB is running slow?

What video card do you have?

I've actually noticed some similar behaviour out of an entirely different piece of software on a linux box where it freezes sometimes even though the machine is about 5x the speed of my sun. I haven't managed to track that down either.

This board makes me happy that I swore off through hole parts years ago!

-Dan