Re: gEDA-user: How we solved installation on Unix

On 10/29/05, Karel Kulhavy <clock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> libpng

Installed by default on most distributions.

> libjpeg

Installed by default on most distributions.

> libtiff

Installed by default on most distributions.

> openssl

Installed by default on most distributions.

> libX

Installed by default on most distributions.

> libSDL

Installed by default on most distributions, or at least with the first
significant game package installed.

> SVGAlib

I have Links, but I don't have this.  This must be a compile-time
option not used by my distribution.

> libgpm

Installed by default on most distributions.

Note how often the word "distribution" occurs in the above list.

The point here is, it's a *distribution* thing, and not a gEDA thing.
gEDA's developers are primarily responsible for producing working
code, and clearly stating what the dependencies are to get said code
working correctly.  True enough, most projects have a few packages
that are distribution packages -- but if you look, they're *usually*
maintained by people who are not core developers.  They're maintained
by interested parties who donate their time just to maintain their
packages for their favorite distributions.  In commercial terms,
they'd be known as the "integrators."

If you want a package that installs and uninstalls cleanly for your
specific Linux distribution, create one and submit it to your favorite
distribution maintainer.  He'll almost certainly thank you for it; and
if you can keep up with the changing gEDA requirements, you can
provide continual updates to the package you maintain, thus adding
more value to the others who'd use your package.

I was considering starting a Slackware package and ROX-Filer AppDir
"distribution" for gEDA somehow.  But I lack the time to invest in it.
 When I next need to re-install the gEDA package, I will look into the
possibility at that time.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II