Re: gEDA-user: Toaster Oven vs Skillet?

Bob Paddock wrote:

Any one tried a Skillet rather than Toaster Oven?

I know a rather skilled tech who uses a hot plate for putting down QFN packages. These are the ones with a large ground pad completely underneath the part.

He uses small syringes loaded with solder paste. These are sold for this purpose. Then it ties into a foot pedal which controls compressed air. The whole thing lets him quickly put solderpaste on the board manually. Then stick the part on and reflow. I've not priced the foot pedal, but the actual applicator tips aren't too expensive. They are considered to be consumables.

I haven't actually used this method myself.

-Dan