Re: gEDA-user: libraries for PCB

On Sun, Oct 23, 2005 at 06:46:27PM +0200, Karel Kulhavy wrote:
> I am currently coaxing someone to redraw printed boards for Ronja he
> designed in Orcad in PCB and he asks how many libraries there are for
> PCB.
>
> I say that those shipped with the program and he says that it won't be
> much (which is true) and that it is more work to draw all the missing
> library elements than doing it in a different program.
>
> Why doesn't PCB webpage have also web submit feature like gschem?
> For example when I asked for BF988 element here, it was immediately sent
> to me by someone, but it isn't shipped with the program. This way there
> is a lot of elements which are locked down on someone's harddisk and
> they are not available for the public.
>
> He also asks "if there is a manual so one doesn't have to permanently
> work in a trial-error way or pestering people around". Is PCB manual of
> this kind? Last time I remember the file format descriptions were
> horribly obsolete.
>
> CL<

First of all, to solve the locked down on a disk problem:

To get my elements and symbols, install subversion and type:
$ svn co svn://dlharmon.com/geda/sym symbols.dlharmon
$ svn co svn://dlharmon.com/geda/elements elements.dlharmon

Most of these are tested, but some are not. All of the ones I created
are public domain, but there are still a few in there that are
derivatives from gschem or pcb. Of course no guarantees on accuracy.

I am on a new server now, and it is a virtual private server, so I have
root. I am working on a web frontend for my footprint generator script.
This should make it easy to generate a footprint to a user's
specifications without having to learn the unusual format of the
footprint description file. I may also try make any footprints that
cannot be generated available. This would need to be automated somehow.
I have had thoughts of a text file description to go with each footprint
and a script in cron.daily to generate the web pages with groupings by
several categories.

Something like this could be attatched as a comment to the footprint or
added as a seperate file. I am using the SOT143 footprint of the BF998
footprint Karel mentioned. More fields may be necessary. Pitch would be
helpful for so and qfp parts.

Name: SOT143