Re: gEDA-user: Design changs required to mill PCBs?

DJ Delorie wrote:

I'm guessing it's using a variant of HPGL embedded in a PCL data stream. I.e. a mode switch between languages. The PCL5 spec has commands for this.

That would make sense for driving the laser. It is just an X-Y device. The laser can be turned on and off, of course, and also you can adjust power level and traversal speed. Power * dwell time, adjusted for material properties and thickness, determines whether you get cutting or engraving. It also does raster engraving, so maybe the raster features of PCL5 are used there, and the vector functions of HPGL are used for shape cutting. I'm itchy to set up a protocol sniffer.

Anyway, it could be a nifty way to make 1 and 2 sided "milled" PCB's. "Engrave" to remove copper, and let the laser cut all the way through the FR4 for vias. And of course I've mentioned before the possibility of doing el-cheapo solder paste stencils, which should be easy. It also has possibilities for doing odd-shaped PCB's, or for depanelizing. I've yet to see how well cuts FR4, though.

-dave