Re: gEDA-user: one net, two pins

John Griessen wrote:

Dave N6NZ wrote:

Short them with a net, and make sure your footprint has the extra pin numbered to expect it's own connection to the net.

I find that statement a little confusing... but it is going to a standard header footprint, so the footprint will have pin numbers per usual, if that is what you mean.

the "shorting" is done in the schematic.

Yes, I understand how to do shorts with NET= attribute

the multiple connections required to be complete is done by the footprint being associated with the symbol, so the symbol needs two pins with numbers different.

No way to doit with just one.

harrumph... (mild one, though)

You CAN make it invisible though.

this will do...

> It
may as well be done as a "heavy" symbol,

Yes, it's a classic heavy symbol. It's a standard header wired up for a standard bus -- by creating a heavy symbol a lot of clutter and tedium can be removed since nearly every design I intend to do for the near future will use it. Not to mention "correct by construction" wiring -- and since minor goofs can lead to various kinds of power supply shorts, it seems like a good idea to bury/automate the details.

and add it by copying a usual pin, getting all thenumbers and names right, then making all those invisible, and you keeping track of those invisible things in your symbols.

Instead of modifying symbols, you can use djboxsym to create generic

Yes, I'm doing basically that. I wrote a header symbol/footprint generator that I am using for generic headers. After running it through the project and getting some PCB's back I'll be releasing the code.

Thanks,
   Dave

ones, then just change the visibility of that pin. You need two pins on the symbol too, just one or both are invisible.

John G