Re: gEDA-user: Buses in gEDA/gaf

DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A "bus" is purely decoration.  Everything ignores it.  All that
> matters is the nets that connect to it and THEY must have net names,
> as usual.  Yes, each little connecting net has to be named.  That's
> what does the actual work.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

> > 2. How do I label my buses, i.e., what's the bus equivalent of the
> >    netname= attribute?  Is it busname=?  It isn't in the master
> >    attribute list.
>
> You don't.

OK, let's review: buses on schematics are a documentation feature, i.e.,
intended not for tools but for other engineers looking at the drawing,
right?  Now suppose I want to label my buses for the same purpose: as a
documentation aid for others looking at my schematics.  Of course I can
just stick a text object next to it that isn't of name=value form, but
it seems to me that an attribute would be more appropriate, even if no
currently existing automated tool can make use of it.  What should the
attribute name be, that's my question.  I know that I can call it
anything I want since no tool will look at it, but wouldn't you agree
that some standardized convention would be nice, so that different
people who implement this common need do it consistently?  If no such
convention exists currently, perhaps we should establish one and add it
to the master attribute list?

MS