Re: gEDA-user: Schottky diode?

John Coppens wrote:
On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 15:22:48 -0400
al davis <ad106@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What are the error messages? Did you try using "./configure.old" instead of "./configure"?

I've sent the messages to Dan, who promised to send you the patches...
That ok?

The problem is that on John's computer, something is messed up in the latex installation so dvipdfm fails to find cmr17.tfm.

One way to avoid problems like this is to include the .dvi file in the distribution. That way make doesn't ever try to rebuild it unless the user has been editing the .tex files. Right now, in simplified form, we have

gnucap-man.pdf: gnucap-man.dvi
	dvipdfm gnucap-man.dvi

gnucap-man.dvi: gnucap-man.tex $(OTHER_TEX_FILES)
	latex gnucap-man.tex
	latex gnucap-man.tex

so what happens is during the build, make says "hey, there is no .dvi file so the .pdf must be out of date" and it tries to rebuild the whole thing. This is fine if you don't have a semi-broken latex install.

The other viewpoint is John's failure is a failure of his latex install so its not gnucaps problem or position to try and have a way to avoid it.

Here is the tail end of the output from Johns build:

Output written on gnucap-man.dvi (136 pages, 504508 bytes).
Transcript written on gnucap-man.log.
/usr/bin/dvipdfm gnucap-man

gnucap-man.dvi -> gnucap-man.pdf
[1
cmr17:
Unable to find a TFM or OFM file

Output file removed.
make[3]: *** [gnucap-man.pdf] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/utilities/gnucap-0.35/man'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/utilities/gnucap-0.35/man'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/utilities/gnucap-0.35'
make: *** [all] Error 2

-Dan