gEDA-user: PCB polygon & rectangle practicalities

In fooling with various practice layouts (partial layouts, actually) I think I have the basics of polygons and rectangles sorted out. Now I'm wondering about the practicalities is adjoining poly's.

Here is the situation: In my design, there wants to be a polygon patch of analog ground that will have nothing routed through it, although there will be a few clearance vias and thermal-relief joined vias. This polygon will be on the solder side (2 sided design) and will be an island in what I hope will be a fairly continuous chunk of digital ground plane, although I'm planning the solder side as my Y-axis routing layer, so there will be lots of traces cleared out through it.

Anyway the point is, while the analog ground patch is easy to draw as a poly, the digital ground wants to be a simple rectangle with an island in it. I presume that the best way to make that happen is to lay down the AGND poly, and then draw several rectangles/poly's for GND until the composite is the shape I want. So... do I need to overlap the GND poly's so that they will join up? Or can I just turn on the grid and draw to the snaps and count on "touching" to be enough to actually join them? Are there some gotcha's here that I haven't thought of that I am going to trip over? Manufacturability issues?

-dave