Re: gEDA-user: smd challenge board status - last step!

> A Hong Kong/Chinese board fabber, YukShing Circuits, sent me some
> FR-1

Not sure I want to hand-make that many precision boards.

If I were to product-ize it, I'd go with a larger single-sided board.
You still want the solder mask, I think, although it's hard to squeeze
it between the IC pins.  The mask does help "glue" the traces down,
the prototype kept delaminating due to heat.

Also, in large quantities you get better cost per square inch.
Fabbing a couple thousand 1x1 SS/M boards would be cheap enough.  The
two tricky bits are (1) shipping, and (2) labor.

> that could be good for a "product" version of "The soldering
> challenge -- Are YOU up to it?" advertised in circuit cellar.

Interesting title ;-)

> Cutting them is easy -- score and snap.

I did discover that FR4 is too strong to score and snap, even though I
did it with my old boards.  Hence the scroll saw.  Of course, on a
production run, you could get v-scoring cheap too.

> no-lead solder

Yeah, I'd have to worry about RoHS too.

Although an immersion or flash plating is better than HASL anyway.