Re: gEDA-user: pcb refdes name restrictions?

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 13:00 +0000, Peter Baxendale wrote:
> > I am curious to know if your notes are available online, or are released
> > under such a license that we can make them available to students here?
> >

> I've put them on my web page
> ( http://www.durham.ac.uk/peter.baxendale ). They are pdfs but I can
> send you openoffice files if they are any use to you. They are just
> brief notes to support a simple assignment (4x2 hour sessions) so you
> may find them a bit basic. I'd be interested in hearing your own
> experiences using geda with students.

Aha... I am a student myself actually (just starting a PhD), so have no
direct experience with teaching gEDA. My own experience was that the
learning curve is initially steep, but having got to grips with it, I
find it far nicer than other EDA packages I've used. To keep things
simpler, we try and provide symbols and footprints for all parts which
students might be expected to use.

We run a robot design project, subdivided into mechanical, electrical
and software components. The electronics is done basically on strip
board, but that is a sub-section on our PCB(s) with micro-controller
interfaces ready to populate.

I am one of the demonstrators for the electronics part of the lab, and
the desire is (from the project's leader) that the students use gschem
or similar to draw their schematics. We aren't yet at the stage where
these students build custom PCBs, however various ideas for rapid
prototyping (miniature milling setups) have been discussed as a future
possibility.

I'll show the notes to Dr. Long, who is in charge of the robot design
project. The draw, simulate, layout exercise looks a lot like the sort
of thing he was suggesting for more general ECAD teaching.

Regards

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,