Re: gEDA-user: database driven component chooser - part II

On Monday 01 October 2007 11:00:23 am DJ Delorie wrote:
> > As the relation between 'device' and 'supplier' is a many-many
> > relationship, you'd be better off creating just another table,
>
> I also recommend (and have been thinking about) a multi-table database.

Anyone ever use Cache'?

http://www.intersystems.com/cache/
http://www.intersystems.com/cache/downloads/index.html

Somewhat related to the old language MUMPS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUMPS_(programming_language)
See links at end of for usable code.

http://math-cs.cns.uni.edu/~okane/mumps.html
"Mumps MultiDimensional & Hierarchical Toolkit"

"...an easily manipulated hierarchical (multi-dimensional) data base that was
well suited to representing medical records; 2) flexible string handling
support; and (3) multiple concurrent tasks in limited memory on very small
machines."  Think of them as key/value pairs on Steroids.

See http://cns2.uni.edu/~okane/source/MUMPS-MDH/mdh.html
for an example 'tree'.  You could refer to patient P1, medication M2 on day D4
with the reference: protocol("P1","M2","D4")="X";
"Patient" could be PCB/gEDA project, "medication" the part number, etc.

There are also "Berkley DB", now part of Oracle as I recall,
and Firebird for Data Bases.  To my knowledge Firebird
is the closest Open Source version of Oracle.

Firebird can be embedded.
http://www.firebirdsql.org/
http://www.codeproject.com/cs/database/EmbeddedFirebird.asp

http://www.sqlite.org/ as well, but probably the best