Re: gEDA-user: QFP fan-out tips

On Oct 6, 2007, at 7:25 PM, Andy Peters wrote:

>>> Sometimes doing that adds enough inductance to cause problems,
>>> in high frequency boards.
>>
>> What does "high frequency" mean?  I'm in the <50MHz range.
>
> It's not the frequency that's important, it's the rise time of the
> signals.

Yep. That, and the response time of inputs. I know of a recent NASA
mission where a processor chip was "derated": operated at a speed
lower than normal spec in hopes of improving reliability. The board
was made with relatively bulky components (again for reliability),
and therefore somewhat spread out. Theoretically adequate for a chip
as slow as the derated chip, but..

The chip itself was, of course, much faster than its derated spec.
And when they tested the "cold case" (-20 C, I believe), that made it
even faster. The system failed the test. It turned out that better
bypassing (capacitors closer to the pins) was needed.

Moral: useful reliability is a property of systems, not of
components. Don't let component reliability considerations damage the
system design.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx