Re: gEDA-user: QFP fan-out tips

Hi,

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 09:37:34 -0400
Randall Nortman <geda-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>

> Speaking of vias -- Anybody have any experience putting them right
> under an SMD pad?  I'm not thinking of doing that for the little 0.5mm

I'd try to avoid them. I have supported a board design where every now
and then we get a board back with a broken CAN bus. The CAN bus chips have
vias underneath some pins. resoldering the CAN bus transceivers usually
sorted all problems but they tended to return after a few months leaving
the CAN bus again in a sorry state. I think these problems are all caused
due to heat.

HTH,

Hans

--