Re: gEDA-user: first impressions on gaf v1.2.0

On Sunday 07 October 2007 23:42:52 Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 21:45:56 +0100, Peter TB Brett wrote:
> >> it fails to descend into subdirectories like almost any
> >> file chooser does.
> >
> > The component chooser *is not* a file chooser.
>
> Still, the ability to browse the library in a hierarchical way would be a
> major step ahead in usability. The long, linear list of library
> directories is a pain to deal with. Most of the time I want to see only
> my local libraries. But some times I want to browse the systems libs.
> What is the problem with using the hierarchical features built into the
> filesystem?

I totally agree.  I'm hoping to add "categories" to the component system
soon(ish: there are several technical problems I need to overcome first).

However, the first problem with depending on filesystem hierarchy for
categorisation is as follows:

1. I have a system library which puts some symbols in
the "IC/Regulators/Switch-Mode/National Semiconductor" category.

2. National Semiconductor bring out a new switch-mode regulator, which isn't
in the system library yet, and I'm only a user and don't have access to
change the system library.

3. I therefore want to be able to insert a symbol from a totally
different "component source" into the same category as the system library.

The second problem with depending on the the filesystem is that if I have a
project-specific library, it's an awfully large amount of work to duplicate a
(possibly enormous) category structure on disk just to add 5 symbols to
categories deep within the category structure.

How am I going to get around this?

- The category in which a symbol appears will be handled totally separately to
the "source" which provided the symbol.  You'll be able to view the library
either by category (hierarchical) or by source (as currently).

- There will be at least three different ways available for setting the
category/ies for symbols from a given directory-based component source:

   1. An index file.
   2. All in the same category specified in the gafrc.
   3. In categories according to the filesystem layout (I don't like this :P)

I hope that makes this issues and proposed way of handling it clearer.  Note
that I have no idea about when this will be implemented!

                              Peter