Re: gEDA-user: PCB paste layer, revisited.

Dave N6NZ wrote:
> To recap: I have been experimenting with making solder paste stencils
> from laser cut drafting mylar.  The current implementation of paste
> layers is not very flexible.  The paste stencils that result from my
> current workflow apply way too much solder (for various reasons).

Glad to hear you are experimenting with this Dave.  It's much appreciated.

All this:
"Maybe you could write a laser-paste exporter?  Then, you could ask the
user for the offset they need, and output whatever language you need
to run the laser directly.

 > > OK, I will look that up, it sounds related.  But there is a reason I
 > > thought that paste should be detached from pads, and that is that for
 > > some cases you may not have 1:1 correspondence between pad and paste
 > > shapes.

That's why multi-pins have paste and mask specified separately from
copper, for each layer.

 > > I'm advocating for a true paste layer. What's an anti-paste layer?
 > > Do I want one of those, too?

anti-paste removes paste.  Thus, you could use anti-paste to cut up a
big thermal pad, or not put paste on unpopulated parts."

sounds good to me.  Either programming paste from attributes attached to a  pad or multipin pad
or from pad/ps-bloat/anti-paste combinations sound workable.

Thanks,

John Griessen
--
Ecosensory   Austin TX