Re: gEDA-user: gschem, More than one component found with name ...

On Oct 18, 2007, at 9:19 PM, Ales Hvezda wrote:

>> Peter B wants (and I think this is a good thing) to start embedding
>> symbols by default, so this code will change at some point.
>
> I'm still on the fence on this change.  All the weirdness associated
> with embedded symbols should be fixed first before the default is
> changed.  And hopefully all the licensing issues with embedded symbols
> has been hashed out as well (the license text on the gEDA website
> mentions
> embedded symbols a little bit, this should probably be really
> explicitly
> cleared up).

I do not think this is a good change at all. Symbols should not be
copied into the schematic file, they should be copied into the
project's private symbol area and instantiated in the schematic. That
yields the best behavior: edit the symbol, get project-wide changes.

Of course, the recent versions are also reckless about attribute
promotion "out of the box". This interferes with the flexibility of
instantiated components. Have to play with the rc files if I want,
for example, to be able to easily change the footprint of every
instance of something after the schematic is drawn.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx