Re: gEDA-user: gschem, More than one component found with name ...

On Friday 19 October 2007 17:42:12 DJ Delorie wrote:
> I would much rather have gschem semi-automatically copy symbols to a
> local directory when they're needed for a schematic, than mess with
> the schematics themselves.
>
> Most of my schematics are multi-page, and most of my symbols are made
> with djboxsym.  Updating an embedded symbol is hard, updating a
> non-embedded-but-project-local symbol is trivial (I use "make" :)

The intention is to provide a straightforward but powerful GUI for keeping
schematic & library up to date.  There would be a list of all symbols
currently embedded in the schematic, showing how many times each has been
instantiated.

Symbols which differ from that found in the library would be flagged with an
icon, indicating whether the library symbol is newer or older than the
embedded version.

It would be possible to select all instances of a symbol, so that users can
see which symbols would be affected by an update.  Clicking an "Update"
button would show the user a dialog with a preview the old and new symbols,
and a radio box to select which symbol to use.

It would also be possible to "export" embedded symbols into a local library,
and to rename embedded symbols without making any library changes.

My viewpoint on all of this is that it currently seems that detailed knowledge
of the gschem library system is required in order to gschem & friends at all
effectively.  We are severely hampered in our ability to interoperate with
other libgeda tools due to this.  Some sort of sane self-contained file
format is not only desirable but *required*, and the current embedding
mechanism fails at this in an embarrassing fashion.

Once the embedding mechanism is in place, I imagine that it would be
relatively straightforward to provide a small command-line application for
managing symbol embedding (for instance via 'make' :)

                          Peter