Re: gEDA-user: gschem, More than one component found with name ...

Peter TB Brett wrote:

> It would also be possible to "export" embedded symbols into a local library,
> and to rename embedded symbols without making any library changes.
>
> My viewpoint on all of this is that it currently seems that detailed knowledge
> of the gschem library system is required in order to gschem & friends at all
> effectively.  We are severely hampered in our ability to interoperate with
> other libgeda tools due to this.  Some sort of sane self-contained file
> format is not only desirable but *required*, and the current embedding
> mechanism fails at this in an embarrassing fashion.

The self containment could still exist without embedding symbol data inline in the schematic file.
You could generate a file with a name like: schmatic_name.parts  to go with every schmatic_name.sch.
That would keep everyone happy and break very few currently-used methods.  Breaking the methods
of the users with detailed knowledge of the gschem library system isn't necessary or desirable.

> Once the embedding mechanism is in place, I imagine that it would be
> relatively straightforward to provide a small command-line application for
> managing symbol embedding (for instance via 'make'

Could read:
Once the embedded parts datafile is in place, users could keep on using their
text-processing methods on the .sch files, or use a GUI.

The generated files called  schmatic_name.parts or  schmatic_name.comp could be found
and used by gschem on start up as additional library content, according to a
library search path.

John Griessen
--
Ecosensory   Austin TX
tinyOS devel on:  ubuntu Linux;   tinyOS v2.0.2;   telosb ecosens1