Re: gEDA-user: Problems with PCB

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 12:59:35PM -0500, Harold D. Skank wrote:
> > What do you mean "never returned"?
>
> I mean that the command (load file) never completed.  The monitor task
> indicated that the CPR was running 100% committed for some 20 minutes
> before I killed the task.

I remember seeing some bug that caused PCB to consume all memory.  I
can't remember what the resolution was.  Can you try the CVS version or
send your board to someone who can?

> > What warnings?  Cut and paste them, please.
>
> Warnings file attached below.

Sometimes those warnings are caused by sloppiness in the schematic.
For example, if you have a 3-pin connector with a metal housing, if
you only connect the 3 pins in the netlist and then go ahead and
ground the housing tabs on the PCB, PCB will complain about the
additional connections.  You can resolve that by updating the schematic
to explicitly ground those (possibly with a net= attribute in the
component, if you like).

You could print that list and find the nets with the netlist window
and its 'find' button.  Also, the DRC might give you a better
presentation of the same problems (which is truly an indictment of
the rat output!)

> Warning! Net "GND" is shorted to U11 pin pad
> Warning! Net "GND" is shorted to U11 pin pad
> Warning! Net "GND" is shorted to U11 pin pad

Also looks like you might have given the same 'descriptive' name to
multiple pins on a part.  The 'board.cmd' you ran when you converted
the board gave them all that useless name, which will make them harder
to find.  There might be a quick way to fix that -- anyone know offhand
if he just does a text search-and-replace of "pad" to "" in the board
if it will revert to numbers??

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<ben@xxxxxxx>