Re: gEDA-user: Tips for InsertPoint?

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 12:01:58PM +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> You are not alone. Some months ago I, filed a feature request:
> /--------------------------------------
> | Add more complex modes of track manipulation:
> |      a) Insert an elbow: "______" to  "___/\___"
> |      b) Insert a plateau : "______" to "_/---\_"

Maybe the line mode should be interpreted like that when you're in
insertpoint.  Any-direction lines would allow a one-point pullout.
If you're in one of the angle modes it would do some kind of bumpout.
The current angle action in insertpoint is only useful if you've first
created a crazy segment and insert a point in the middle of it.

> |      c) Push tracks out of the way, while drawing other tracks.
> |         (Like protel99 does)

I'd like to see a video of that or some good description.  I've been
thinking about ways to push tracks out of the way.  The only real idea
I've had was to create some kind of "brush" tool that you can use to
push on tracks.

> |      d) Vias should be placed, if a track gets flipped to
> |          the other side with the m-key.

That's happening, not sure how well.

> |      e) Automagically reduce the size of a track if this is the
> |         only way to wiggle into some tight space. Return to the
> |         original track size when space allows.

Overall I'd like more routing styles, too.  Eg I have a 'power' class
which is 25mil, which I might use for routing around the board, but
when I'm connecting power from a via to a QFP pin, there's no need
to go down to 6/6 or 8/8, but 25 is too wide.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<ben@xxxxxxx>