Re: gEDA-user: no "lock text" and "text only" in menu of GTK-HID

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 10:11:02PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > Wouldn't this affect only the standard menues file and edit?
>
> No, Motif is much more comprehensive than that.  I mean, it doesn't
> have eda-specific recommendations, but it does have general guidelines
> to help you figure out where things go.

Really?  As far as I can tell, the pulldown menus in the Lesstif HID
are mostly random.  'View', 'Settings', 'Connect' and 'Info' are basically
one big menu with things semi-randomly distributed among them.  Even
'File' has 'About' which is a 'Window' (or a 'Help' if we had one).  I
have to search for some commonly used menu items every time I use them.

Even an item like 'Shown Layers' which I agree is fine under 'View' is
wayyy down on the menu even though you might want it all the time.  In
fact several very large (ie awkward) and commonly used items are at the
very bottom of View.

I've been strongly tempted to completely replace my own .res file, but
then it would be hard to help/get help from other people.  Heck, it would
also be nice if the commonly used keys (eg 'F11' => select) were on the
left hand so I could keep my right hand on the mouse.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<ben@xxxxxxx>