Re: gEDA-user: getting started with geda simulation

Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 21:16:48 -0400, al davis wrote:
>
>> You are better off without gspiceui.  It obscures what is going on.
>> GUI's make simple things simple and complex things impossible.
>
> As a newbie I tend to deal with simple things...
> Can you give an example of a complex task?

Figuring out why your simple sim didn't run?  It's really
useful/important to know the basics of what the netlists should look
like and how they interact with the simulator.

A complex task (not even that complex) is when you have a set of
multiple sims with an analysis more complex than plotting a simple
voltage or current outputs.  For example, you may want to plot the
amplitude of the fundamental and various harmonics coming out of an
amplifier as a function of the amplitude of an applied sinusoid.  Maybe
you want to run multiple AC analyses at various operating points.

The GUI's tend to be set up to let you simulate one (maybe more than
one) analysis type with one set of conditions plotting a moderately
simple function of node voltages as the result.  Obviously this is a
huge generalization, but I think it is more or less true.

-Dan